Wednesday 7 April 2010

Do 'The British' do Networking

When it was suggested to me by my dear friend Penny Lindop I might like to join her at a WIRE meeting I thought 'oh no' I don't like the thoughts of mixing with a group of competitive women who wouldn't be interested in the likes of me. How wrong my perceptions were, I found the whole experience very positive and the women I had feared were incredibly supportive and complimentary about my product.

'Speed Networking' now we are moving onto another level. British people (or just me)? don't big up themselves. I went to a session on Speed Networking and prior to my arrival I have to say I was more than a little nervous. I had to deliver my message to a room full of strangers, one to one!!!! I had rehearsed my pitch to my husband and daughter who both felt it was good but I knew were thinking 'she can't pull this off'. Well my first pitch was to a friend Jane O'Riordan who just happens to be one of my suppliers and it went well, I then found I really got into the whole thing and was anxious that all these people hear my story, it was a worry that I wouldn't be able to get around the whole room. What was I worried about? I have a story and after 2 minutes felt the world should know about it. This was such a great experience for me as normally I am self conscious and it completely showed me that when you beleive in what you do have the confidence to shout about it!

1 comment:

  1. Well done to you- would be terrified myself - but like you I might just get really into it ! x Gabs

    ReplyDelete